Sunday, July 15, 2012

Homemade Salsa Recipe

This evening when I got to my parent’s house I was craving something wonderful! The first thing that popped in my head was Mama’s homemade salsa.
Sorry for the way I look. I just got home from work.
Of course I posted it on twitter and facebook about wonderful it was. I started getting question about how we made the salsa and the recipe. So here we go here is the recipe…
Mama got this recipe from a friend at work. Taste will favor on how many tomatoes you use and what types of tomatoes you use.
1 bucket of roma tomatoes --- I used more of the large variety of tomatoes and had no clue what a bucket consisted of so I used about 30 big tomatoes and 20 romas.
10 large regular tomatoes blended well  - this was taken from the 30 above.
Make sure that you peel the tomatoes by placing in boiling water for a minute or 2 or until peeling pops open and then the peel will just come off in your hands.  Also make sure you core it after you remove the peel.  It will be hot unless you let cool a little before trying to handle.
6 cups of chopped peppers (use more jalapenos for hotter sauce)  I used approximately 3 cups and basically made to taste or “heat”.  I used green, red, yellow, pablano and jalapenos.
1 cup of sugar (again you make to taste)
5 heads of garlic or 1 cup of minced garlic (I used 3 heads – not cloves)
1 tablespoon of ground cumin
2 tablespoons of oregano leaves
3 tablespoons of salt
2 12 oz cans of tomato paste
1 bunch of fresh cilantro or squeeze cilantro found in produce section.  I don’t like cilantro so I only used half of this ingredient.
Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
Lime juice and salt for jars
Add all ingredients except cilantro and lime juice.
Bring to a rolling boil, stir constantly.
After boiling turn down and simmer for 20 mins
Remove from heat and add cilantro.
In pint jars add ½ teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of lime juice.
Fill with sauce.  Clean jar rim very good, place lids on.  Don’t over tighten them.
Place in water bath for 20 mins.

After removing from water bath place on towel or some type of counter protector and let cool.  Once it begins to cool you will hear popping sounds as the lids begin to seal.

Hope you guys enjoy!!


1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderful! Wish I had the patience to make some!

    ReplyDelete